Monday, September 24, 2012

Funny thing, people ask if I'm spiritual or religious and I can't seem to make up my mind! I guess I'm really neither when I think about it.

Growing up I never went to one specific church and I never spent any time studying any religion in particular.

When I got older and was about to be married, I decided to go with my future husband's religion because I had to be a member of that religion in order to get married. A lot of what was taught was pretty much in sync with what I had learned along the way and seemed to make a lot of sense at the time. Having three kids, I figured they should have a lot of church and religion and maybe that would help make things seem more secure for them.

As the years went by, I started listening to what my kids were coming home and telling me and a lot of the time and I didn't necessarily agree with every view of the church. I told my kids to "think for your self" learn what you have to and if you have a differing opinion, we'll discuss it on the way home. Trust me, a lot of the time it was a really long ride home! I'm glad I taught them to have an open mind and become who and what they believed in.

I used to be very religious, and thought I was very spiritual. Maybe I was and was going through some kind of phase. Who knows? What I do know now is that between studying the Bible and checking into other religions that I didn't know or learn about as a kid has got my mind wandering into a million different places.

A lot of the same beliefs is what seems to bring them all together. One religion that I seem to like is Wicca. Far cry from what I was taught but so many things seem to make perfect sense and here I am, I'm still reluctant to change. I like Buddhism and what it teaches. Sometimes it's easy to think how simple a change would be but the choices seem to have endless possibilities.

So as I sit here I wonder what happened to the me that thought they knew everything and had it all figured out. All I seem to know now is that I probably won't ever know it all and I won't have ever figured it all out but I do know most of it is all in the mind.
Just like we can grow to be who and what we want to be and having many changes along the way, religion and spiritualism are very much like growing up if you keep your mind open to new and different ideas.









No comments:

Post a Comment